One of the benefits of having a mild fall & winter like we do here in Liberty County is we can still enjoy our time outdoors. No plowing snow for us, we can go kayaking or fishing if we want! Sure, we still have a few frigid days but for the most part we can throw on some boots, a scarf and jacket and hit the road. Try out one or all of these fun holiday activities in the coming weeks and enjoy your time spent outside!
Photo by Tammy Lee Bradley
- Decorate for the holidays! As I’m sure y’all have seen, we decorated our mantles for the holidays. Some of us used artificial items, but the boss lady channeled her inner “Martha Stewart” and crafted a natural garland out of magnolia leaves and sprigs of juniper. We kept the theme going by pitching in to help make a garland for the front porch and stairwell. Not only do they look really cool but it was fun to make them, too! Get out in the yard and pick up some pinecones and other natural elements to make ornaments for your Christmas tree and other decorations.
- Run a 5K! What better way to balance out those extra holiday treats than to get some exercise in. The Liberty Proud & Healthy committee hosts a free 5K fun run/walk every month, with no exception in December. Dress up in your holiday duds and get in a quick run at James Brown Park.
- Visit the Christmas Tree farm! Wander through prize winning Christmas trees at Brewer’s Christmas Tree Farm and find one for your own home. You can even cut the tree down yourself! Take a hayride or peruse the gift shop with homemade jams and jellies, wreaths made from fresh cuttings, and other unique gift items.
- Outdoor snack time! The front porch isn’t just for sipping sweet tea in the scorching summer months. Fill some festive mugs with hot chocolate and enjoy that rocking chair you love so much. Watch the squirrels scamper nervously for acorns and the cardinals fluttering around. Or maybe invite your friends over for a bonfire and s’mores. What could be more fun during these cooler nights than snuggling up under a blanket with a belly full of sweet treats!
- Go tour some holiday lights! Pack up the crew and head out to the Holiday Hayride & Festival of Lights at Holbrook Pond. Take a tour of the holiday light displays and even a boat ride around the pond. Pony and train rides and a photo with Santa will make this a fun night for the kiddos, too!
We might not be singing “Let it Snow,” too much around these parts, but we do still enjoy walking through our Southern winter wonderland!
-Erin Johnson, Creative & Content Manager for the Liberty County CVB
The Right Blend Blog is written by two different authors employed by the Liberty County Chamber/CVB. As we are able, we rotate weeks and each writes about our individual experiences, opinions and let our writing reflect our personalities and creativity. All content provided on The Right Blend blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site.