Film Permit Applications

Liberty County Film Guidelines

These guidelines are just that – guidelines, which may be relaxed or tightened as situations warrant. Our decisions reflect an attempt to balance the needs of filmmakers with those of businesses, residents and the public interest, and to arrive at solutions that are favorable to all.
There are certain expectations regarding the presence of productions in our neighborhoods. Productions should remember that they are guests whose continued presence in these neighborhoods relies on the
goodwill of the affected residents and businesses, and should act accordingly.
All productions are required to register with the Liberty County Convention & Visitors Bureau by submitting the Project Registration Form. This information is required a minimum of five working days before any filming activity is to take place. This application is for Professional Productions only.
Students do not need to register with the Project Registration Form.
Please note that the Project Registration Form is NOT a permit application for location use. You will need to fill out a SEPARATE form to apply for a location permit. Please continue to read the next section on
“Permit Requirements” for more information on how to submit a permit application.
Permit Requirements
The Liberty Convention & Visitors Bureau does not issue permits. The Liberty CVB is happy to assist in connecting productions with each issuing municipality. Permits are required for any production activity which will have an impact on public property within the Liberty County area. Additional permits may be required from government agencies such as the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) or the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT). A pre-production meeting is required between the Liberty CVB, the appropriate municipality representative(s), and the production’s Location Manager or another production representative. A listing of all anticipated locations with tentative dates should be reviewed as soon as possible, as the Liberty CVB may know of possible conflicts with each municipality’s services, local events and festivals, or other filming activities. Additional meetings may be required with the local police departments, traffic engineering, or other governmental departments.
Early application is recommended and may be required, as all permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis, and the logistical complexity of the project may affect time needed for approval.
City of Hinesville
• requires a minimum of 30 business days prior to filming to secure any type of permit.
The Production Company shall limit the activities at each location to those outlined in the permit, within the time frame specified in the permit. Failure of the Production Company to comply with the guidelines and conditions set forth for each permit, or the use of any location not specified in the permit, shall give the authorizing party grounds to revoke the permit or take other restrictive actions as necessary.
The Liberty CVB expects all productions to abide by industry standard safety guidelines. If known
activities present a material public safety concern, the Liberty CVB may cause production to pause
until such issue(s) has been resolved.
All municipalities require a certificate of insurance prior to securing a permit.
Notification of Affected Businesses and Residents
The production company is responsible for notifying all businesses and residents affected by the filming activity. Notification shall take place following the permitting municipalities’ review of the
application and no less than two business days prior to the planned activity. In some situations, more advance notification may be required. Earlier notification, including sign-off sheets, may be required in
places where planned activities may have a significant impact on the normal activities of the area. The area to be notified will vary depending on the impact of the proposed activity. Notification shall include a letter from the production company, and should include information concerning the location and duration of the filming activity, as well as specifics regarding lights, noise, traffic, and parking, where applicable, and contact numbers for both the production company and the the Liberty CVB. If permitting plans change after notification an updated notification letter must be
distributed. Permits may be denied or revoked where insufficient time has been allowed for proper notification, or when the notification process has been improperly applied.
Traffic Control and Street Closures
Traffic control, if needed, must be handled by off-duty police officers hired by the production company through each municipality and/or the Liberty County Sheriff’s Department. Each municipality retains the
right to determine the number of officers needed based on their individual permitting requirements. Intermittent holding of traffic shall not exceed five-minute intervals, unless otherwise specified by the issued permit.
No holding of traffic is permitted during morning and/or evening “rush” hours on streets which experience congestion during these times, or on streets affected by school traffic during their opening and closing hours. Each case will be evaluated individually by the permitting authority. In general, “rush” times are
defined as follows:
Morning: 7:00 am – 9:00 am
Evening: 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Interruption of traffic on State maintained streets requires additional approval from the Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT).
Requests for street closures or diverting of traffic should be made well in advance to allow for planning of alternate routes and proper signage. Production companies who wish to detour traffic within the Liberty
County area must submit a written plan along with the permit request to the permitting municipality and is subject to approval by the police department, traffic engineering division, and GDOT (if necessary). Production may be halted and streets opened in the event of an emergency. All traffic
control, parking and street closures must allow for a working fire lane at all times.
All equipment or support vehicles not in immediate use shall be parked so as not to cause any interference to pedestrian or vehicular traffic, and shall utilize no more than 50% of on-street parking on blocks where it is necessary and customary for residents to depend on on-street parking, unless otherwise permitted. Production vehicles must be parked in such a way as to not impede safe lines of vision at intersections, and in accordance with all ordinances regarding on-street parking. Any deviations must be approved by the governing municipality. Production vehicles must not block fire hydrants, driveways, crosswalks, or other access ramps unless authorized by the permit and/or the private property owner where relevant. Emergency lanes must be open at all times.
Additional Guidelines
• No film activity, which involves the use of explosives, pyrotechnics, fire, smoke making machines or other special effects of this kind, may be undertaken unless specifically permitted and is subject to approval by the appointed Fire Marshall.
• Removal or alteration of vegetation (trees, flowers, grass, moss, etc.) in the public right of way or on publicly owned land is prohibited unless specifically approved by permit. Consultation with arborists, park and tree departments, and/or the Department of Natural Resources may be required prior to
• Unless specifically allowed in the permit, production companies may not block the entrance to any business without permission of the owner; use private property without permission of the owner; drive any type of vehicle into a park or square; disturb or climb on any gravestones, statues, fountains, or monuments; work in any roadway; park illegally; block sidewalks; place equipment on sidewalks; or park large production vehicles in front of a business without permission of the owner. All sidewalks
must remain open and ADA compliant unless specifically noted in the permit.
• Lighting for filming, both during the day and at night, should be oriented away from neighboring residences wherever possible.
• Base Camps and equipment trucks moving into residential areas shall not do so before 6:00 am or after 11:00 pm without prior approval from the permitting municipality. No activity that will cause excessive noise is permitted without prior approval. Production companies are responsible for vacating locations used with a minimum amount of noise and disruption at the end of each shooting day.
• Production companies must allow for access of service vehicles, such as deliveries, mail, trash pickup, etc. or make alternative arrangements with the service provider and affected businesses or residents.
• Production companies are responsible for returning any public rights of way or city/county property used for filming, base camp, or equipment purposes to their original condition in a timely manner, and
for repairing any damage.
• Use of prop weapons in view of, or audible to, the public requires the presence of one or more uniformed law enforcement officers. Additional notification to surrounding residences and businesses may be required for the use of prop weapons using blanks or quarter rounds.
• Municipalities reserve the right to restrict high impact filming in streets, neighborhoods, parks, or districts which have experienced undue stress from seasonal festivals and events, heavy filming, natural disasters, etc. The Liberty CVB and issuing permitting office will notify location managers and production companies if and when such restrictions are necessary.
• All animal waste must be neutralized and removed.
• In the event of natural or civil disasters, municipalities reserve the right to cancel all outstanding film permits on both public and private property within the affected area. Should evacuation of a street, neighborhood, or district be deemed necessary by fire, police, or other emergency authorities, all outstanding permits for that area are null and void. Permits will be re-granted as soon as possible after the State of Emergency proclamation has been lifted, following a safety evaluation conducted by the municipality, production company and utility company representatives.
The Liberty CVB reserves the right to change, modify, update, or waive provisions of these guidelines where necessary for the public’s safety and convenience. Each permitting authority reserves the right to cancel filming permits and/or take further restrictive actions where necessary to assure adherence to these guidelines.
Some municipalities charge fees for permits. There are costs associated with the use of certain municipal services or facilities. All authorized services provided by each municipality (such as sign removal) will be billed at an overtime rate and will be paid by the production company, unless otherwise stated. All fees are subject to change. Please refer to each municipality for specific costs. If there are any questions regarding these guidelines, please contact the Liberty CVB at (912) 368-3580 or refer to our website:

Film Project Registration Form

  • 1. Please complete and submit the below application.
    2. All fields marked * are required.
    3. You will be contacted by the Liberty County Convention & Visitors Bureau regarding your
    application. From there, you will be directed to the appropriate municipality permitting office(s).
    4. After submitting this application, specific location permits may be requested via the corresponding
    municipality’s permit applications. If approved, an agreement will be finalized between a Production
    Representative and a Permitting Office Liaison.
    5. This application is for Professional Productions only. Students should register using the Student Film Permit Application located below this form.


  • Please specify what, if any information can be released to the general public.

Student Filming

Student Projects
Student projects are subject to the same rules and permit requirements as professional productions.

Some schools provide insurance coverage and some do not. If your school does not, you may be required to procure coverage.

Municipalities may charge for certain services such as permits, police, ITC, parking, etc.  Please contact the appropriate municipality for direct answers.

Private Property
The use of private property requires the permission of the property owner. Film permits do not grant access to any private property. However, there are certain activities that require permits even when they occur on private property. These include stunts, special effects, excessive noise and certain activities that are visible to the public.

Your permit may require you to provide notification to the residence and businesses near the location. This must be completed at least 2 business days before the shoot. Please use the Notification Letter template available for download, located at the bottom of this page. Failure to notify as described in the permit is a violation.

If you are a student, please complete and submit a Student Permit Application via corresponding municipalities here.   For the most direct answers to your questions, please contact the permitting office(s) of the municipality in which you desire to film in.

The City of Hinesville
Student filmmakers must abide by the City of Hinesville’s guidelines for permitting but must fill out a Student Filming Permit Application no later than 5 business days before filming. Any student production with a cast and crew size larger than 10 people, must obtain a permit in order to gather on city-owned property.
Student films must obtain a permit for the following to occur on city-owned property regardless of cast and crew size:
• Special Effects – Explosions, Fire, Smoke, Haze/Fog, or Pyrotechnics
• Stunts
• Weapons or Firearms (real or fake)
• Animals
• Street, or sidewalk closures
• Parking for Equipment Vehicles
• Intermittent Traffic Control

Student Filming Permit Application

  • 1. Please complete all fields below and submit the permit application.
    2. The confirmation email includes a liability waiver. Print the confirmation email. You and your professor must both sign the liability waiver.
    3. You will be contacted regarding your application. If approved, you will need to bring the signed liability waiver to the Liberty CVB, 208 E. Court Street, Hinesville, GA, in order to obtain your permit.
    **Please note, this application does not qualify as an issued permit. Please follow the above steps in order to obtain the signed city-issued permit.**

    Only the student receiving class credit may sign for a permit.



  • Example: Bradwell Park or 102 Commerce Street interiors and sidewalk.

    This is anything that even looks like a weapon.

  • Drop files here or


Downloadable Guidelines & Forms