Southeast Georgia Friends of Fort Stewart & Hunter General Membership Minutes
The following issues with comment were part of the discussion. They are provided as information and if anyone requires more explanation please advise.
MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING:
8 Nov: Savannah Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring a luncheon honoring Veterans. GEN Abrams is the guest speaker.
12 Nov: Savannah Morning News will have a special on the Marne Division
6 Dec: Directors Meeting
a. Ask that all members bring their accounts current.
b. Organizational Leadership needs to be resolved.
c. Georgia Rural Prosperity Council Meeting, Subcommittee on Defense Communities. We will continue to monitor their progress.
a. Noted that West Virginia has passed a law exempting Military Retired Pay from State Income Taxes.
b. HN Items:
1) Issues continually being monitored: BRAC, Apache Battalion, FY22 Construction Plan the Aircraft Hangar at HAAF (Hangars are an Army High Priority), Army Wishlist
2) Sequestration: Still a stumbling block. If a budget is approved for DoD it will likely include some form of guidance to avoid sequestration kicking in.
3) Apache Battalion for the Combat Aviation is still needed. When funded, new Aviation assets will fill out current units first. New BN for 3ID may move realistically to the right on the timeline by 5-6 years.
4) Hangars for Hunter are not part of the MILCON list but in the long range plan (FY22).
5) BRAC – still around but, probably not happening for a while. Army looking to establish a board chaired by the VCSA to look at excess capacity. An internal BRAC based upon needs of the Army.
6) Security Force Assistance Brigade (SFAB) consisting of about 500 troops still slated for Fort Benning. Likely to occupy Kelley Hill.
7) Next visit to Washington has been postponed. Looking more like our regular trip time frame of Jan-Apr 18. More to follow.
DIRECTOR’S MEETING is SCHEDULED 6 December 2017 at 3 PM in the Hinesville City Hall, 3rd Floor Conference Room.