Wind Down and Find Wellness in Liberty County, GA
Phew! When life gets hectic, it’s important to remember that sometimes you need to hit pause and take a moment to rest. Not sure how? We’ve got you covered with tips on how to make the most of your downtime and find wellness here in Liberty County!
If admiring beautiful scenery helps you relax, here are some locales you won’t want to miss.
- Cay Creek Wetlands Interpretive Center in Midway offers an elevated boardwalk trail through freshwater wetlands and saltwater marsh. Their 15-foot tower gives you a wonderful view of the landscape—and a great chance to spot some of the more than 100 different species of birds in the area!
- If you’d like to sight-see from your vehicle, look for the whimsical Tree Spirits on Barrington Ferry Road in Riceboro. Carved into Live Oak trees, their origin and meaning are unknown, so feel free to let your imagination wander. Two will be on your right-hand side as you go down the road. When you turn around, look to your right again to find the third one!
Whether or not you take some pictures along the way while exploring Liberty County, be sure to take a deep breath!
If you destress best by enjoying some good food, or plan on working up an appetite while sight-seeing, dig in at one of our favorite local restaurants! Liberty County is home to a wide assortment of local and international cuisine to try.
- Hankering for some breakfast staples? The Yellow Bee serves up delicious—and VERY generous—chicken and waffle plates, as well as steak scrambles and flavorful shrimp and grits.
- Enjoy some delicious Persian favorites like kabobs and korma at Tazza Kabob Grillhouse. Made from authentic family recipes, you’ll find a perfect balance of meat and veggies. Delish!
- Can’t make up your mind about what to eat? Melody’s Coastal Café in Midway has a little bit of everything! Their mouthwatering menu ranges from burgers, to seafood, to BBQ.
If you find peace and quiet by reflecting on the past, there is plenty of local history to discover! With a wide variety of historic sites that offer interpretive signage, it’s easy to leave the hustle and bustle of the present day behind.
- Near the coast, Fort Morris is an American Revolutionary war wort. You can admire the original, preserved earthwork defenses and visit its on-site museum. Don’t forget to catch the beautiful view of St. Catherines Sound!
- While you’re in the area, stop by Sunbury Cemetery, which has grave markers dating all the way back to 1788. Quiet and serene, Sunbury Cemetery serves as the final resting place for some of coastal Georgia’s first residents. It’s also a remaining piece of Sunbury itself, which is now considered a “lost town.”
- Another place to immerse yourself in local history is the Historic Baptismal Trail in Riceboro, where ancestors of the local Geechee communities would baptize new members of their faith. Walk along the boardwalk, pack a picnic or rest on one of the benches and let yourself be at peace.
We haven’t forgotten those of you who like to burn off stress through physical activity!
- Bryant Commons is nestled in downtown Hinesville and has numerous amenities. Hit the walking trail, fish at the pond or let your dog have some fun at the dog park. You’re sure to work up a sweat!
- On the other hand, if even the thought of walking anywhere or doing anything has you beat, not to worry. Treat yourself to a massage at the Zen Den Massage Studio or The Hydro Bar. They offer a range of services including Swedish massages and hot or cold stone massages. Get comfortable and let the stress ease away—you’ve earned it!
And there you have it! However you choose to kick back and enjoy some R&R, Liberty County offers more than enough options to suit your needs!