Game Day Recipes & Hang-out Spots
Football season is in full swing! Some of our favorite F words – fall, family, food and fun happen starting now. Cheering on your favorite team while enjoying appetizers is unmatched. Here are some of our favorite game day recipes and a few of the best spots around Liberty County to hang-out and get some good food in case you don’t feel like cooking! You can never go wrong if you visit one of the spaces or places below!
Melody’s Coastal Café
Melody’s Coastal Café in Midway has something that will please everyone! If you’re interested in a more traditional gameday meal, order the wings and get them tossed in your favorite flavor. Wanting to step outside of the box? Try some shrimp tacos or even a New Jersey style pizza. No matter what you choose, it’ll definitely be tasty. You can even bring the kids along because they have an arcade to keep them occupied. Pro Tip: Check out the fried okra. Never had it before? We promise you’ll LOVE it!
Be entertained all night long by heading over to Doodles Billiards located in Hinesville. They have multiple large flat screen TVs for your viewing pleasure and at least a dozen pool tables! It’s the perfect spot to engage in some friendly competition during half-time or when your favorite game ends. They have wings and pizza to go along with a bucket of your favorite import or domestic beer. Pro Tip: The sweet Thai chili wings are amazing!
The Parrot & Frog
Downtown Hinesville’s first bar, The Parrot and Frog can be found on Commerce Street! This newly revamped building has a unique vibe that makes you feel right at home. Grab a beer and relax! Not really a beer person? Order something different that is more your speed. Choose from signature cocktails, wine slushies and much more! Quick tip: The Parrot and Frog does not serve food, but customers are welcome to bring their own food in with the purchase of a beverage!
Sunbury Crab Company
Watch your weekend match up with a waterfront view! The Sunbury Crab Company is a great spot to catch the game and eat fresh caught seafood. Our favorite is the shrimp – fried or grilled! Pair it with a drink from the fully stocked bar, and you’ll be in heaven. Whether your team wins or not you can head out on the dock and take in the view. Make sure that you call ahead of time and make a reservation. Pro Tip: They are a tree house style location so if you know you get chilly easily take a jacket!
Ham Sammie Sliders
provided by Brittany May
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion (or 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder)
- 1-pound Hawaiian Rolls (24 small or 12 large)
- 1-pound deli ham (thinly sliced)
- 1-pound Swiss cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and set aside.
- Mix together the butter, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds and onion.
- Cut the rolls in half and put the bottom in the prepared baking dish. Top with half the ham. Add the cheese and top with the remaining ham.
- Add the tops of the rolls and pour over the butter mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve immediately.
Jalapeno Poppers with Bacon
provided by Brittany May
- 12 jalapenos
- 8 oz. cream cheese (room temp.)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons green onion (chopped)
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. bacon (cooked and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Halve the jalapenos lengthwise. Remove and discard the seeds.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, green onion, shredded cheese and bacon for the filling.
- Fill the jalapeno halves with the mixture. Place stuffed jalapenos on a baking sheet and bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the poppers and serve.
Make a new recipe or ditch your couch and try one of our favorite hang-out spots! No matter what you’re sure to have a great time. We always recommend that you get out and #ExploreLiberty! Try something new. You won’t regret it!