Ways Tourism Impacts Our Community
What are the facts?
In 2020 tourism generated $6 million of revenue in state and local taxes during the height of the pandemic. That sounds great, doesn’t it? Believe it or not, you profit from this industry as well no matter if you work in a related field or not. That is because revenue brought in by the tourism industry led to a total $255 tax savings per household in 2020. In 2021 that number increased to $9.1 million of revenue in state and local taxes. This increase in revenue led to $377 in tax savings. Tourism earned you money, and you didn’t have to lift a finger.
Every year the tourism industry in our county is growing and developing. The dollars spent in our county have an impact on all of us. Just think of the economic growth Liberty County has experienced over the last decade or so. There is a steady wave of new stores and restaurants and with that comes a steady stream of jobs that are being created. All the new-found wealth is attracting new people into our area who are bringing new ideas and new investments. People are finally realizing what we knew all along, our beautiful county is a very desirable place to visit & live.
This is why tourism matters
- Increased revenue will allow for a bigger budget for the school system, which in return will allow for better equipment to be bought and more staff to be hired.
- Our county is growing steadily, giving us new options to shop or go out to eat.
- With all the new visitors, our neighbors can venture out into the business world and start a new business or expand an existing one.
- With such a booming economy, our county will attract more businesses that need a qualified workforce.
- The demand for such a workforce meets the needs of colleges that now want to open here. It gives us instant access to higher education and as a bonus, we can keep the little ones for a few years longer.
- With all this growth, new people and opportunities, there are also more events being planned and life become much more fun locally without having to travel very far.
What tourists like to visit?
Between history, nature and outdoor recreation Liberty County really has a little bit of everything. One day you could be kayaking on coastal waters, while the next you are out learning about our African-American heritage at Dorchester Academy. We have such a melting pot of residents here and it has led to some of the best bites around town. There are also plenty of community events happening throughout the year such as:
- Blues, Brews & BBQ
- Food Truck Festival
- Annual Illuminated Christmas Parade
These are just a few of the many events that attract visitors to our area.
Tell me more…
Our main source of tourism at this moment is Fort Stewart. As the installation grows, so do we as a county. Having such wonderful neighbors is a benefit for us all. Last but not least, tourism impacts our community through our office. The marketing for Liberty County is done by us, the Liberty County Convention & Visitors Bureau. Together with the Liberty Chamber, we’re an office of six, and we are working hard to attract new and returning travelers to Liberty County.
We appreciate our community for entrusting us with such a special job, telling the tale of Liberty County is a true joy for us, and we love this place called home! #ExploreLiberty